Converse College Low Residency MFA seeks an Assistant Director of the Creative Writing Program to work closely with the Director of the MFA Writing Program in planning and overseeing all aspects of the program, participate in the planning of all events, assist in oversight of MFA scholarship students, assist in MFA alumni outreach, manage and produce material for MFA social media pages and proposed MFA blog, assist director in oversight and supervision of MFA residency sessions during summer and winter residencies, and assist the director in managing MFA Office logistics and recruiting.
- Work with director to plan all MFA events (readings and talks by faculty writers, visiting writers, agents, and editors; student readings; alumnae/i readings, and annual MFA alumnae/i activities, transportation/travel for visiting faculty, classroom reservations for residency sessions).
- Along with program director, oversee writing program budget, including working with Business Office to reconcile expenses at the end of Summer and January residency sessions.
- Along with MFA director, reply to prospective MFA student inquiries and questions in a timely manner. Manage MFA applications and collate and distribute for review process to appropriate MFA faculty.
- Supervise the MFA office during summer months, responding to prospective student requests and contacts, preparing materials for annual recruitment mailing, and responding to enrolled student contacts, and following up with payments for advertising, organizing annual assessment documents, and other jobs as needed.
- Provide assistance to program director in logistical aspects of the program, from maintaining files and contracts, to responding to applicant inquiries, to student registration, to developing the bi-annual reading series, among other duties necessary to daily running of the MFA office.
- Along with program director, plan and oversee on-campus open-house events for prospective students, and assist with coordinating additional recruiting events on campus and online, and participate in recruiting trips to graduate school events and writing conferences.
- Assist the MFA director in organizing winter residency housing and meals with outside vendors and, in consultation with Residence Life, plan and organize housing, dining and space reservations for the summer residency session.
- Work with the MFA director to plan and oversee end of program graduation celebrations and oversee degree application activities.
- Participate in planning and oversight of January residency and Summer residency sessions, including assisting director in development of the residency schedule.
- Research publication and fellowship opportunities for students and alumni.
- Oversee the program social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, MFA blog) and along with the program director provide oversight in regards to updates to creative writing web pages.
- Along with the program director, plan and supervise publicity and advertising in print and online markets for creative writing program.
- Supervise and coordinate MFA alumni outreach and lead coordination of MFA alumni readings and events.
- Assist the director in researching outside sources of funding for the MFA Program and for publications within the MFA Program, including grant writing, direct solicitation of "friends of the literary arts," etc.
- Assist the director in maintaining assessment materials and developing annual assessment reports.
- MFA in Creative Writing.
- Some familiarity with low residency MFA model a plus.
- Experience in academic or arts/literary administration preferred but not required.
- Excellent organizational and writing skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as a member of a team.
- Creative Writing publications and demonstrated activities in the writing and publishing community a plus.
The position is half-time administrative and outside the tenure structure. The appointment is annually renewable, subject to performance.
We believe that a diverse faculty and staff are essential to achieving academic excellence; thus, we strongly encourage applications from candidates from all racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.