This position is a member of the Athletic Department and reports to the Director of Athletics. This is a twelve- month, full-time position.
JOB SUMMARY: The Director of Athletic Communications serves as a member of the leadership team within the athletic department, reporting to the Director of Athletics. This position serves as the institutional representative to the media for all athletic activities and is responsible for keeping stats at home events. In addition, this position plans, organizes, and coordinates media relations activities; writes and distributes newsletters, brochures, and reports to all media outlets and social media platforms; responds to various requests for team histories, photos, statistics, and related information. This position plays a vital role within the athletic department and for the institution.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Master’s Degree preferred;
- 3-5 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities preferred, including but not limited to NCAA Genius, PrestoStats, Stat Crew, and Golfstat;
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations;
- Commitment to liberal arts education; and
- Compliance with the University’s Service Expectations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Promote the mission of the institution to all faculty, staff, students and community at large;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently and make value judgments, which may set new policy;
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively with poise under pressure and against deadlines;
- Ability to exhibit a high degree of tact, energy, and resourcefulness in dealing with a variety of situations and people;
- Ability to be successful in a diverse environment;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to handle extremely confidential information;
- Ability to meet various reporting deadlines throughout the year;
- Attend departmental staff meetings, clinics, workshops, etc.; and
- Attend campus-wide staff meetings.
- Serve as the primary media contact for all sports related issues;
- Communicate with all media outlets in a timely manner after each athletic event;
- Understand and manage software needed for department;
- Use appropriate software to stat all home events;
- Identify and supervise staff in athletic communications/media relations department, when applicable;
- Maintain an up-to-date website by updating the directory, staff bios, team rosters, student-athlete bios, schedules, statistics, policies and forms, when changes occur;
- Maintain archives of all team and individual records and statistics;
- Attend all home events/contests and produce post-game articles for the website in a timely manner;
- Manage all pre- and post-game media related items;
- For away contests, gather the information as quickly as possible and post article on website and on social media in a timely manner;
- Manage or oversee appropriate staff member to manage department’s social media accounts, posting on a regular basis to all accounts, as well as in-game posts for home and away events, when appropriate;
- Oversee production of all sports related published materials - i.e., schedules, advertising, photos, etc.
- Write and present sports updates for campus publications and outside media;
- Work closely with the Athletic Administration to develop and implement promotional incentives for game attendance (i.e., raffles giveaways, half-time contests, etc.), if appropriate;
- Develop and implement a plan for pictures to be taken throughout the year - preseason and during season;
- Identify and write articles about student-athletes and staff outside of athletics, when appropriate;
- Work with the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and the liaison to plan the end of the year athletic banquet;
- Assist in hosting special athletic events held on and off-campus;
- Work closely with the CT department for needs related to equipment;
- Work with college webmaster to update and improve website;
- Work closely with the institution’s Office of Communications when needed;
- Represent the University on institutional, conference and national level, when applicable;
- Serve on campus committees as assigned by the Director of Athletics and/or President;
- Serve on conference committees and attend conference activities, when applicable;
- Serve on external committees in the community;
- Attend NCAA functions and activities, when applicable;
- Follow all institutional, Conference and NCAA guidelines and policies, as they pertain to sports information;
- Uphold all Conference Carolinas and NCAA Rules in framework of good ethical conduct; and
- Perform other duties, not specifically stated herein, deemed essential to the operations of the department as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
We believe that a diverse faculty and staff are essential to achieving academic excellence; thus, we strongly encourage applications from candidates from all racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.