SUMMARY OF POSITION: The Director of Admissions is an integral component of the Converse College Admissions team and requires an enthusiastic, optimistic, and high-energy individual who is determined to meet the College’s enrollment goals. The individual must be committed to continuous improvement, focusing on student service, accreditation and compliance improvements. The individual will be responsible for developing a plan of action to achieve school (target population) recruitment and enrollment goals; hiring and onboarding new admissions staff in compliance with College policies; and overseeing, developing, cultivating, motivating, and managing current staff.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: The Director of Admissions has major responsibility for setting and implementing a comprehensive vision for the Office of Admissions alongside the Vice President for Enrollment Management. This individual assumes primary responsibility for assessing results and making recommendations of recruitment plans to the Vice President for Enrollment Management.
DIRECTOR OF ADMISSIONS ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise the Admissions Counselors for Freshmen, Transfers, Converse II, and the Assistant Director of Admissions & Visitor Experience.
- Develop goals in conjunction with the Vice President for Enrollment Management for applications, visits, completed applications, and deposited students to meet new student enrollment goals for freshmen and transfers.
- Represent the College to prospective students and parents at on and off-campus events.
- Manage a small territory, if designated, on behalf of the Office of Admissions.
- Work with the Office of Human Resources to identify and hire undergraduate admissions staff as needed.
- Work closely with the Department of Athletics and coaches to recruit student-athletes.
- Work with the Assistant Director of Admissions & Visitor Experience in managing the student ambassador and student telecounseling programs.
- Develop and manage relationships with high school counselors and transfer coordinators at two-year institutions, including: on and off-campus events and regular communications about Converse College; and soliciting feedback from high school counselors and transfer coordinators at two-year institutions on student needs, interests, and attitudes then sharing that feedback with the VP for Enrollment Management so the College can consider and make appropriate changes.
- Collaborate with the Communications Department to create and execute marketing plans to support new student inquiries, applicants, admits, and confirmed students.
- Coordinate all recruitment travel; NACAC, PVA, CACRAO schedules, and other college fairs/programs as well as out-of-state recruitment events (parties, receptions, etc.).
- Develop, implement, and maintain regularly scheduled training for admissions staff.
- Develop an operational budget for the Office of Admissions in conjunction with the Vice President for Enrollment Management.
- All other reasonable duties as assigned by the Vice President for Enrollment Management.
- Adhere to Converse College, Conference, SACSCOC, and NCAA policies and procedures.
- Comply with the College’s Service Expectations.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required; master’s degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Five years of admissions experience from an accredited college or university required.
- A strong sense of integrity and values and an understanding of the importance of building a great working environment and esprit de corps.
- Three years of management experience with a staff of similar size and complexity preferred.
- Experience in the admissions or collegiate field especially dealing with complex student and parent issues are preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Proficient in using CRM, MS Office Suite, and Google Suite.
- Strong customer service skills for all levels of College constituencies and members of the public are required.
- Ability to take appropriate steps to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
- Detail-oriented, creative, organized, and with the flexibility skills to multi-task.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong communication and relationship skills and the ability to speak in an engaging and professional way with small and large groups.
- Ability to work flexible hours including nights and weekends as well as extensive travel during designated times of the year.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to carry boxes, bins, and materials for recruitment travel and events.
DISCLAIMER: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
We believe that a diverse faculty and staff are essential to achieving academic excellence; thus, we strongly encourage applications from candidates from all racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.